Alta's opening day is slated for November, 20th, 2021 and we are more ready than ever for cooler temperatures and the return of our favorite season. With ski season nearly three months away, we continue to keep a watchful eye on COVID-19 and the possible implications for this winter.
While skiing is our passion, the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to our winter operations for the health and well-being of our skiers, employees, and community. This page contains the most up-to-date information regarding our COVID-19 operating plans.
Our winter operations will follow the latest COVID-19 guidelines specified by the State of Utah, Salt Lake County Health Department and the Town of Alta. Skiers should be aware that a potential risk of visiting the ski area may include exposure to COVID-19 and becoming infected. While our operational changes and COVID-19 protocols may reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus, we also need your help, patience and cooperation.
What Can you do to help?
While experiencing the character, the beauty of skiing at Alta please help us reduce the risk of infection and spread.
- Know before you go. We will be managing daily mountain capacity based upon weather, snowpack, available terrain and the capacity of our indoor facilities through available parking on a first-come, first-served basis during non-peak periods. Parking Reservations will be required for all skiers on weekends & holidays. If you have the flexibility, we encourage you to consider skiing mid-week rather than weekends and holidays.
- Please stay home if you are sick.
- Wear a face covering. Face coverings may be required at all times at Alta in both indoor and outdoor spaces. The only exception is when eating or drinking. Face coverings will also be required to ride chairlifts. Please note that skiers are encouraged to fold over or double up buffs.
- Maintain Physical distancing whenever possible. This includes lift lines, ticket windows, ski lessons, retail spaces and our mountain restaurants.
- Minimize time indoors. Physical distancing reduces the capacity of our indoor facilities. Please be conscious of other's needs to use indoor spaces and minimize the time you spend indoors, particularly in our food and beverage facilities. We encourage you to consider using your vehicle as your locker room, shelter, and lunch spot.
- Be patient. Be courteous. We're all in this together.
What are we doing?
- Managing skier capacity. We will determine daily mountain capacity based upon weather, snowpack, available terrain and the capacity of our indoor facilities. Daily capacity will be managed through available parking on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Frequent road and parking updates. Please check alta.com for road and parking status updates before skiing Alta.
Road & Parking Status >
- Creating Space. Physical barriers and signage will be used to allow physical distancing. Standing in lift lines, ski tips to tails naturally provides distancing between skiers, Tables in our restaurants will be appropriately spaced for physical distancing.
- Riding the Lifts. Skiers will be allowed to self-group and load the chair with those they are skiing with. Lift attendants will not require skiers to ride a chair with other skiers they do not know.
- Cleaning and Sanitization. Cleaning and sanitization strategies will be enhanced in cooperation with CDC, State of Utah and SLCHD guidelines. Hand sanitizer will be readily available for skiers and employees. High-touch areas, restrooms, eating facilities and all common areas will be cleaned frequently.
- Ski School. At this time, the Alf Engen Ski School will offer a full suite of lesson options for all ranges and abilities.
- Food & Beverage. Menus will be simplified and food will be prepared in advance where possible.
- Restaurants will have limited seating capacity available to paying guests only.
- Additional dining space and an outdoor coffee shop have been added to Alf’s.
- We will have expanded grab-and-go food and beverage options at multiple locations.
- Grab-and-go food options will be available in the Albion and Wildcat Parking lots.
- Skiers bringing their own food will need to use their vehicles this season as a "warming hut".
- Rentals & Retail.
- The Alta Ski Shop at Albion will offer ski rentals this season. Hours: 9am-4pm beginning October 5th.
- The rental shop at Wildcat Ticket Office will not open this season due to space constraints.
- Appropriate disinfection measures will be applied to all rental equipment after use.
- Shopper density will be limited in the Albion Ski Shop, Wildcat Ski Shop and the new Alf’s Ski Shop.
- Sunnyside At Three. Due to COVID-19, the Sunnyside At 3 program will only be available for the 2020-21 season via the season-long Sunnyside At 3 Card.
- Reduction in off-site lift ticket sales.
- Employee Wellness Checks. Daily wellness checks of all employees will be required prior to the start of their shifts. Employees who are ill will be sent home or asked to stay home. We will comply with SLCHD regulations and orders in regards to reporting positive cases, contact tracing, isolation and quarantine of ski area employees.
Restaurants will have limited seating capacity available to paying guests only. If you do not plan to purchase food, consider using your vehicle as a "warming hut". Please limit your time in a restaurant to no more than 30 minutes. Menus have been simplified and food will be prepared in advance where possible. The processes for ordering, obtaining and paying for food have been modified. There are expanded grab-and-go food and beverage options at multiple locations including the Albion and Wildcat Parking lots. Grab lunch to eat in your vehicle or on the slopes.
|Alf's Restaurant||Open||50% capacity. Hosts will walk guests to tables. Order food via QR code from table and pickup after receiving a text notification.|
|Watson Cafe||Open||50% capacity. Hosts will walk guests to tables. Order food via QR code from table and pickup after receiving a text notification.|
|Albion Grill||Open||50% capacity. Hosts will walk guests to tables. Order food via QR code from table and pickup after receiving a text notification.|
|Baldy Brews||Take-Out Only||
Expanded grab-and-go offerings from a new take-out window. No indoor access to Baldy Brews.
|Cecret Coffee||Take-out Only||
New coffee shop and grab-and-go food outlet on the snow level of the newly renovated Alf's Restaurant.
Expanded grab-and-go and take-out offerings.
|Base Camp Kitchen - Wildcat||New||
Grab-and-go options from the new Base Camp Kitchen food trailer at the south end of the Wildcat parking lot.
|Cecret Mercantile - Albion||New||
Grab-and-go options from the new Cecret Mercantile food conex in the Albion parking lot.
Fine dining offering table service and limited seating. Open Friday–Sunday for lunch. 11:30am–2:30pm.
The Alf Engen Ski School will start the season by offering private lessons only. Lessons for children under the age of eight are available only as Private Lessons. Season-long programs have been modified.
|Private Lessons||Available||Call the Alf Engen Ski School at 801.799.2271|
|Adult Class Lessons||Not Available||Due to the challenges presented this winter, Adult Class Lessons are currently unavailable.|
|Kids Class Lesson & Camps||Available 12/21||Reservations required. Day-of wellness checks. Teen Camp canceled.|
|Kids Season-Long Programs||Available/Modified||Kids Season-Long Programs days and times have been modified. Alta All-Mountain Team is canceled.|
|Adult Multi-Week Programs||Available||Call the Alf Engen Ski School at 801.799.2271|
Learn more about Adult Camps
Alta Ski Shop will follow all state and local protocols to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Our ski shops will increase cleaning frequency, encourage physical distancing, limit indoor capacity and require face coverings in stores. We are now accepting rental reservations over the phone. Call 801.799.2293. Reservations must be made prior to 2pm the day before you arrive.
|Now accepting rental reservations over the phone. Reservations must be made prior to 2pm the day before you arrive. Please return rental equipment to our west patio.|
|Now accepting rental reservations over the phone. Reservations must be made prior to 2pm the day before you arrive.|
New for 2020-21
|New for the 2020-21 season. Social distancing and mask-wearing required in stores. We will be capping the number of retail customers allowed in our stores at one time.|
|The Alta Ski Shop - Watson will be closed for the 2020-21 season.|
Ikon and Mountain Collective Passholders
Reservations are required to ski Alta this winter on weekends & holidays. All Alta skiers, even those Ikon and Mountain Collective passholders will be subject to parking availability as Alta will manage the number of skiers on the mountain by available parking. Please check alta.com for road and parking status updates before skiing Alta.
Your Ikon or Mountain Collective pass provides direct-to-ski access, which means that you can skip the ticket window and head straight to the lift line. If you need to pick up a pass, you can do so at Skier Services.
Town of Alta
The lodges and businesses of Alta are busy at work preparing for the 2020-21 season. For more information, visit the websites of each lodge or local business.
- Goldminers' Daughter Lodge (GMD)
- Food and beverage operations will be available to the public through our Slopeside Joe’s window ONLY. We will continue to encourage call-in and to-go orders made by our patrons.
- Slopeside Café operation will no longer accommodate indoor dining for the skiing public. The indoor facility will be reserved for lodge guests only.
- This update includes all road closure/Interlodge events in Alta. We do not allow any public person(s) to enter under these circumstances, locking our facility when all lodge guests have returned to the building.
- Road Closure/Interlodge: We will not allow any public person(s) to enter our building during these events. Our facility will be locked outside of café business hours.
- Slopeside Café restrooms will only be available to paying customers, INCLUDING those that have purchased items through our Slopeside Joe’s window on the patio. These guests will be let in via our entrance and allowed to use the restrooms per our capacity guidelines.
- Alta Lodge
- Guests are expected to wear face coverings at all times, except when in lodging rooms or when seated at dining or bar tables.
- Sitzmark Club bar service available only to Alta Lodge guests, their guests and Alta Lodge staff.
- Lunch and dinner reservations will be available to non-lodge guests, pending availability. Call 801.742.3500 for reservations.
- Alta Rustler Lodge
- Lunch and dinner reservations will be available to non-lodge guests on a limited basis. Call 801.742.4206 for reservations.
- Alta Peruvian Lodge
- Alta Peruvian Lodge Dining Room and the Alta Peruvian Bar are closed to non-lodge guests.
- The Alta Peruvian Ski Shop is open to non-lodge guests. Masks and social distancing required.
- Alta Children's Center
- The Alta Children's Center is open daily. Call 801.742.3042 for more information.
- Shallow Shaft Restaurant
- The Shallow Shaft Restaurant will be closed for the 2020-21 season.
- Snowpine Lodge
- Call 801.742-2000 for more information regarding non-lodge guest reservations at Swen's Restaurant and the Gulch Pub.