We are preparing to kick off our 83rd season on November 21st (conditions permitting) and we are more excited than ever to do the one thing that we love most, and that is to ski.
While skiing is our passion, the COVID-19 pandemic requires changes to our winter operations for the health and well-being of our skiers, employees, and community. This page contains the most up-to-date information regarding our COVID-19 operating plans.
We encourage you to review this page each day before skiing Alta.
Our winter operations will follow the latest COVID-19 guidelines specified by the State of Utah, Salt Lake County Health Department and the Town of Alta. Skiers should be aware that a potential risk of visiting the ski area may include exposure to COVID-19 and becoming infected. While our operational changes and COVID-19 protocols may reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus, we also need your help, patience and cooperation.
What Can you do to help?
While experiencing the character, the beauty of skiing at Alta please help us reduce the risk of infection and spread.
- Wear a face covering. Face coverings are required in both indoor and outdoor spaces, except when eating or drinking. Face coverings will also be required to ride the chairlifts.
- Maintain Physical distancing whenever possible. This includes lift lines, ticket windows, ski lessons, retail spaces and our mountain restaurants.
- Minimize time indoors. Physical distancing reduces the capacity of our indoor facilities. Please be conscious of other's needs to use indoor spaces and minimize the time you spend indoors, particularly in our food and beverage facilities. We encourage you to consider using your vehicle as your locker room, shelter, and dining establishment.
- Please stay home if you are sick.
- Know before you go. We will be managing daily mountain capacity based upon weather, snowpack, available terrain and the capacity of our indoor facilities through available parking on a first-come, first-served basis. Please check the road and parking status before driving to the ski area. If you have the flexibility, we encourage you to consider skiing mid-week rather than weekends and holidays.
- Be patient. Be courteous. We're all in this together.
WHAT are we doing?
- Managing skier capacity. We will determine daily mountain capacity based upon weather, snowpack, available terrain and the capacity of our indoor facilities. Daily capacity will be managed through available parking on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Increasing Communication. Please check alta.com for road and parking status updates before skiing Alta.
Road & Parking Status >
- Creating Space. Physical barriers and signage will be used to allow physical distancing. Standing in lift lines, ski tips to tails naturally provides distancing between skiers, We will use ghost lanes to provide lateral space between skiers in lift lines. Tables in our restaurants will be appropriately spaced for physical distancing.
- Riding the Lifts. Skiers will be allowed to self-group and load the chair with those they are skiing with. Lift attendants will not require skiers to ride a chair with other skiers they do not know. Single riders will need to queue up in the regular lift lines as we will not be using singles lift lines this season. We will use ghost lanes to provide lateral space between skiers in lift lines.
- Cleaning and Sanitization. Cleaning and sanitization strategies will be enhanced in cooperation with CDC, State of Utah and SLCHD guidelines. Hand sanitizer will be readily available for skiers and employees. High-touch areas, restrooms, eating facilities and all common areas will be cleaned frequently.
- Ski School. The Alf Engen Ski School will start the season by offering private lessons only.
- Food & Beverage. Menus will be simplified and food will be prepared in advance where possible. The processes for ordering, obtaining and paying for food are currently being modified.
- Restaurants will have limited seating capacity.
- Additional dining space and an outdoor coffee shop have been added to Alf’s.
- Collins Grill will be closed for the season which will provide additional café seating.
- We will have expanded grab-and-go food and beverage options at multiple locations.
- A food truck will be added to the Wildcat Parking lot. Grab lunch to eat in your vehicle or on the slopes.
- Rentals & Retail.
- The Alta Ski Shop at Albion will offer ski rentals this season. Hours: 9am-4pm beginning October 5th.
- The rental shop at Wildcat Ticket Office will not open this season due to space constraints.
- Appropriate disinfection measures will be applied to all rental equipment after use.
- Shopper density will be limited in the Albion Ski Shop, Wildcat Ski Shop and new Alf’s Ski Shop.
- Reduction in off-site lift ticket sales
- Employee Wellness Checks. Daily wellness checks of all employees will be required prior to the start of their shifts. Employees who are ill will be sent home or asked to stay home. We will comply with SLCHD regulations and orders in regards to reporting positive cases, contact tracing, isolation and quarantine of ski area employees.
Ikon and mountain collective Passholders
There is a tremendous amount of excitement to go skiing this winter and we anticipate a busy winter. Your Ikon Pass, Mountain Collective Pass or any other pass product does not guarantee your ability to ski. Skiing capacity will be limited by parking availability. If you can find a parking spot then you can go skiing.
- The Ikon pass in your pocket provides direct-to-ski access. Skip the ticket window and head straight to the lift line.
- If you need to pick up your Ikon pass, bring your photo ID to Skier Services, located at Wildcat Base or Albion Base.
- Visit Skier Services for friends & family lift ticket rates. Note, that this rate is based on an Alta-Bird day ticket.
- Mountain Collective
- The Mountain Collective pass in your pocket provides direct-to-ski access. Skip the ticket window and head straight to the lift line.
- If you need to pick up your Mountain Collective pass, bring your photo ID to Skier Services, located at Wildcat Base or Albion Base.
- Visit Skier Services for 50% off lift ticket redemptions.