Adult Camps & Clinics
The Alf Engen Ski School offers multi-day ski specialty programs for adults of all skill levels.
Alta Performance Ski Camps
A four-night, three-day camp
Advanced-to-expert skiers ages 18 and up
Our three-day camp, packaged with lodging and condition-specific demos, offers the ideal environment to improve your performance.
Alta Performance Ski Camps (APSC) serve the needs of both the aspiring and thriving expert skier. Our three-day camp, packaged with lodging and condition-specific demo skis creates the ideal environment to improve your performance. We focus on the development of all-mountain ski tactics and techniques in order to increase your performance on expert terrain.
APSC is for advanced to expert skiers ages 18 and up who are ready to take advantage of the world-class terrain and snow of Alta and Snowbird, the best "classroom" in the world. The camp's progressive approach to coaching utilizes off the hill time as well. We inform you about the fundamentals of expert skiing and its sport-specific demands so that you have the tools you need to take your skiing to the next level of performance.
Coaching is in a 2:8 group ratio. We emphasize all-mountain ski tactics and techniques. Also included are alignment and functional physical evaluation by a biomechanics expert, video analysis of your skiing, plus two indoor evening presentations designed to complement what we practice on the snow each day. By the end of the camp, you will not only be skiing with greater efficiency and confidence, but you will also know more about skiing and how to prepare for it.
- December 4–8, 2019 (Alta Lodge)
- December 8–12, 2019 (Alta Lodge)
- February 9–13, 2020 (Alta Lodge)
- February 23-27, 2020 (Snowpine Lodge)
- April 3–7, 2020 (Alta Lodge)
For advanced to expert skiers
- Three days of ski coaching
- Four nights lodging with full breakfast and dinner daily (lunch is additional)
- Dryland training sessions
- Two-days Alta lift passes
- 1-day AltaSnowbird lift pass
- Three-day demo ski rental
- Reading the terrain and conditions for ideal line selection
- Skiing an entire line without interruption
- Learning how to use your skis in different snow conditions
- How to use turn shape to attack the hill, yet maintain speed control
APSC believes that its guests are also athletes aspiring to lofty goals. They want to help you feel the stoke that comes from achieving a new level of performance in the exciting all-mountain environment. Please join us this winter.
Dates: December 14 & 15, 2019
Strong intermediate to advanced skiers
Jump Start your skiing and make the most of your Alta experience!
Jump Start your skiing! As an experienced skier, you've got the skills necessary to ski most runs comfortably and have fun, but not in all conditions or situations. Maybe, it has been a while since anyone helped you with your skiing or you have come this far without coaching.
Achieving a higher level of performance can transform your relationship with skiing and enlarge your playground! Start that process with us and see what's possible. Elite Alf Engen Ski School instructors educate you about good skiing and engage you in a process that improves both your understanding and ability. Expect to discover and practice skills that lead to smooth, confident and controlled skiing.
In the process, you will become part of a skiing community dedicated to making the most of the Alta experience. We are a resource for all aspects of ski education, from equipment advice to recommendations on next steps. Get acquainted with Jump Start Camps. We're serious about making skiing more fun!
December 14 & 15, 2019 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
$500 (lift tickets and lunch sold separately)
Please click here to register online or for more information call the Alf Engen Ski School 801.799.2271.
Optional Charging Privileges
Season passes tied to a credit card, Alta Cards and Alta Gift Cards can be used to charge at Alf's Restaurant, Collins Grill, Watson Shelter, Albion Grill, Alf Engen Ski School and the three Alta Ski Shop locations.
Alta Lodge Powder Tracks
A five-night, four-day camp
Intermediate to advanced skiers
A unique ski program that makes it easier, faster and more fun to learn to ski Alta's famous powder snow.
This four-day, all-inclusive clinic packaged with the Alta Lodge features the latest teaching techniques from an experienced pro from the Alf Engen Ski School, top-of-the-line ski technology, and Alta’s unmatched snow.
You should be comfortable on blue runs, ready to venture on to ungroomed or steeper terrain
January 5-10, 2020 Alta Lodge
- Five nights lodging, full breakfast and gourmet dinners
- Four days of ski instruction
- Four days of lift tickets
- High-end demo skis and boots from The Deep Powder House Ski Shop
Please click here to register
Alta Breakthrough Camp
A four-night-three-day co-ed camp, packaged for intermediate skiers and beyond.
If you are already passionate about skiing, then you will want to know what it takes to become a good skier. We will introduce you to precision skiing, which is the ideal use of your equipment through accurate movements. Expect to feel more confident and ski with greater fluidity at the end of these three days.
Be prepared to fully immerse yourself in three consecutive days that include indoor tech sessions that will introduce your on-snow training themes, focused morning on-snow training sessions and opportunities to apply new skills in the afternoon.
- Daily indoor video movements analysis
- Presentations-specific elements of good skiing
- Equipment education
- Morning preview of the daily technical focus
- Daily technical focus
- Video specific skiing tasks
- Training/Precision skiing on groomed snow, intermediate terrain
- Experimentation/application on natural snow, advanced terrain
- End of day freeski with the whole group
Early-bird skiing (optional)
March 8–12, 2020 Alta Lodge
For intermediate to advanced skiers
- Four nights lodging, breakfasts and dinners
- Three full days of ski instruction
- Three days Alta lift tickets
- High-end demo skis; boots available if needed
- Two buffet lunches
- Yoga class (optional)
Camp Skiing Outcomes
Performance breakthroughs in skiing are no accident! They are the result of exposure to new information, creative methods and trained technique. How will you know if you experience a breakthrough? During the camp, your coaches will highlight a few particular outcomes and show you how to achieve them.
Ski Aces Ski Camp
A four-night, three-day camp
Advanced-intermediate to expert skiers
Coaches from the Alf Engen Ski School in partnership with the Alta Peruvian Lodge are offering two separate three-day co-ed ski camps for the advanced off-trail skier who is comfortable skiing Alta's groomed and ungroomed terrain.
We kick off with a reception on arrival night, followed by dinner and an overview of the next three days. Meet your coaches and fellow attendees in the relaxed style of the Peruvian Lodge. Each day starts with a group breakfast and a presentation of the technical focus for the day. Skiing and coaching are divided into two blocks. The morning session starts at 9:30am, we break for lunch on the mountain and the afternoon sessions end around 3:30pm. This gives you a bit of free time at the end of the day to free-ski on your own, or head back to the lodge to unwind.
Ski Aces Ski Camp includes evening presentations and the three-day use of demo skis from the Alta Peruvian Ski Shop.
Goals and outcomes:
- Identify and integrate the accurate movements inherent in contemporary skiing
- Develop and enhance your understanding of the role of your equipment in skiing
- Build confidence and success in Alta's legendary off-trail skiing environment
- Have fun with a group of like-minded, dedicated skiers while you ski the places you have always dreamed of skiing