Alta Ski Area is located within the Wasatch-Cache National Forest and operates the ski area under a special use permit with the Forest Service. Alta’s special use permit allows restriction of uphill travel to protect ski area improvements, employees and skiers, our product, and for operational and safety purposes. Please respect restrictions when they are in place.
Updated 11/18/2023 @ 5pm
Alta Ski Area is now closed to uphill travel. Access to Grizzly Gulch and Catherine's Pass will remain open via the Summer Road.
When traveling uphill in Alta Ski Area please note the following:
- Equipment may be encountered on the mountain.
- Backcountry conditions exist.
- Hazards are not marked.
- You are responsible for assessing avalanche hazard and risk.
- Please treat the ski area as backcountry terrain.
- Carry and know how to use avalanche gear.
- There is no ski patrol.
- You are responsible for your own rescue.
These areas are subject to temporary closures for the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT), Alta Ski Patrol avalanche mitigation and/or other operational reasons. Trailhead signs will indicate when backcountry closures are in effect. Updates are also available online via UDOT Avalanche, the Utah Avalanche Center and Alta Central.