ALTA'S FRAGILE ALPINE ENVIRONMENT REQUIRES US ALL TO BE RESPONSIBLE STEWARDS OF OUR LANDS.
Escape the heat this summer at Alta. The Alta Environmental Center has teamed up with key partner organizations to coordinate a variety of fun, family-friendly stewardship programs and educational events happening all summer long! Take in the fresh mountain air with like-minded people as you give back to the area we love through one or all of these summer events. Keep up to date with times and more information by following our @AltaEnvironment on Instagram, and checking back here for updates.
Join forces this summer through stewardship and educational events with our partner organizations:
- Alta Environmental Center (AEC)
- Friends of Alta
- Alta Community Enrichment. (ACE)
- Tracy Aviary
- Cottonwood Canyons Foundation (CCF)
- The U.S. Forest Service (USFS)
- Town of Alta (TOA)
There are a variety of stewardship programs available to attend that allow you to help beautify the mountains, maintain vegetation and establish trails while contributing to the sustainability efforts of Alta. Check out the events below to find out about programs and how to get involved.
Alta and its partner organizations host monthly volunteer days. Participants have the opportunity to work on 2-3 different activities taking place in a single afternoon. Activities include planting native vegetation, weed pulling, or tree harvesting from 4-6 PM. We will be providing dinner and spending some time at the Town Park afterward, all are welcome! Registration required.
- Tuesday, June 22nd | 4-6pm
- Tuesday, July 20th | 4-6pm
- Tuesday, August 17th | 4-6pm
- Tuesday, September 14th | 4-6pm
Join the Alta community and help plant flowers, maintain trails, and pull weeds to beautify the Town of Alta and Alta Ski Area. We will be meeting at the Town Park near the Wildcat base area. Registration is required,
- Saturday, July 10th | 8am-2:30pm
- Partners: Cottonwood Canyons Foundation, Friends of Alta, Town of Alta and Alta Environmental Center
Volunteer with TreeUtah and the Alta Environmental Center as we harvest saplings that have grown in Alta’s ski runs. The small native tree saplings are harvested and taken to an on-site nursery. The trees are planted on the mountain at a later date. Registration is required for these events and will be posted about a week before the event.
- Saturday, July 31st & Saturday, August 28th | Noon-3pm
- Location: Alta Ski Area
- Partners: TreeUtah & Alta Environmental Center
Spend a summer day on the mountain helping Alta and others pick up things that have been lost or forgotten on the ski slopes during the ski season. Registration is required.
- Saturday, August 7th | 8am-Noon
- Location: Wildcat base area
- Registration required
- Partners: Cottonwood Canyons Foundation, Alta Environmental Center, Alta Ski Area, Friends of Alta
Be a part of Alta’s busiest event of the season as we spend a burly day on the mountain planting up to 1,000 seedlings. These seedlings are native to Alta and grown from handpicked seed from the mountainside. We will hike to different locations throughout Alta where we will be planting seedlings where we think they are most likely to survive. Read the Tree Planting Day 2020 Recap >
Lunch will be provided! Registration is required and will be posted about a week before the event.
- Saturday, September 18th | 8am-Noon
- Location: Alta Ski Area
- Partners: TreeUtah, Cottonwood Canyons Foundation, Friends of Alta, Alta Environmental Center, Alta Ski Area
Join Tracy Aviary for a monthly birding hike beginning the second Thursday of each month, May through October as we search for the birds that call Alta home. Participants will have the opportunity to hike with expert birders while enjoying the beauty and birds of Alta.
- Second Thursday of each month (May-October) | 9am-12pm
- Registration required - Click Here
- Location will be disclosed after registering for the event
- Partners: Friends of Alta, Tracy Aviary and Alta Environmental Center
Join Friends of Alta for a special day remembering a loved one as you plant a tree to honor them in Memorial Grove at Alta Ski Area. Please contact Friends of Alta for more information on this event.
- Friday, September 10th | 9:30am-Noon
- Location: Alta Ski Area
- Partners: Friends of Alta
- For more information, visit the Friends of Alta events calendar
There are several educational events one can attend this summer to familiarize you or your family about Alta’s environment, vegetation, and native animals. See the events below for more information and how to get involved.
Alta and its partner organizations begin its monthly HawkWatch bird show and hike. Bring yourself, a friend, or a family member to learn more about different species of birds followed by a naturalist walk lead by one of our partner organizations.
- Dates & Time: Fridays | July 2, July 16, August 6, August 20 | 1-3pm
- Location: Albion Base Area
- Partners: Cottonwood Canyons Foundation, Friends of Alta, TreeUtah, and Alta Environmental Center
Don’t miss the brilliant colors in Albion Basin at Cottonwood Canyons Foundation's Wasatch Wildflower Festival at Alta! Follow along on guided hikes and learn about the different wildflowers that are indigenous to Alta.
- Sunday, July 18th | 9am-1pm
- Location: Begins at Alta Town Park, with guided hikes leaving from this area throughout the day
- Partners: Cottonwood Canyons Foundation, Alta Community Enrichment and Alta Environmental Center
Bring your kids to enjoy a fun-filled educational day in the mountains on August 13. Different partner organizations will have several activity booths set up for all kids to enjoy. Each booth has a different activity teaching different aspects of the environment.
- Friday, August 13th | 10am-2pm
- Location: Alta Town Park and outside of Albion Day Lodge
- Partners: Cottonwood Canyons Foundation, Friends of Alta, Tracy Aviary, HawkWatch, TreeUtah, Alta Community Enrichment and Alta Environmental Center
More about the Alta Environmental Center
Founded in 2008, the Alta Environmental Center was created to protect and improve the well-being of Alta's environment, ski industry and community. In pursuit of its sustainability mission, the Alta Environmental Center strives to conserve natural resources, act as a resource for the community, and encourage environmental education to promote awareness and action from individuals. Thank you to all our wonderful partners, volunteers, and the Alta community for helping us take care of this beautiful place.